If I purchased 3 alpacas from a farm but lost my job and have not paid for several months, can theytake both my partial paymentand the animals?

They said they would work with me and take interest payments but never requested any money. Can they come on my property and take them? 2 had babies and they said those are theirs too. I have paid $2500 so far and they should not be able to take them and my money.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Business Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. The first thing that you need to do is carefully read your written purchase agreement for the three (3) alpacas in that its terms and conditions control what obligations are owed you by the seller and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law. Read carefully to see if the sellers have the right to repossess the animals.

I suggest that you enter into a written installment agreement for the animals with the seller. From what you have written, the sellers want to work with you and seem willing to take installment payments. I do not believe that the sellers can take back the animals against your wishes. Their recourse would be to bring an action in court against you for the balance owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.