If I had a roommate who moved out 18 months ago but left their car in my garage, what are my options for getting title or a lien on the car?

I hve tried to contact them but cannot reach them.

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you know where this former roommate moved, send him or her a note setting forth a monthly rental for the vehicle's storage while keeping a copy for future use and need.

If you do not receive a reply in thirty (30) days or so, go down to the local department of motor vehicles and fill out the necessarily application with required notice to auction off the car. Conduct the auction per code. If the lien per statute for storage is paid off by a third party, you get your money and your get rid of the car where the successful bidder can get title transferred to him or her by the department of motor vehicles. If you are the successful bidder via a credit bid on money owed you for storage or you plave your own money for the bid or a combination of the above, then you fill out the necessarily paper work with the local department of motor vehicles so that you can have title to the car transferred into your name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.