How do i file an appeal if I lost my job due to a work force reduction and received a one time lump-sum severance check but am now in trouble with unemployment?

I received unemployment compensation until I found a temporary job. When my temporary job ended, I reopened my unemployment compensation case. I have just received a notice that the unemployment benefits paid out when I was disqualifying income and subject to recovery and I am not able to collect unemployment benefits during this time that I am looking for work again.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The way to contest and appeal the matter with respect to the unemployment benefits that you received that are now being contested by the Unemployment Compensation Board is for you to go down to the local unemployment office and ask for a form for you to fill out, date, sign and submit with respect to the appeal that you wish to do.

Make sure that the appeal is timely filed and that you get a filed endosred copy of it for your records. You will then be provided most likely with a hearing date or a written decision concerning your appeal within 45 to 60 days of the filing of the required documentation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.