Can I contest the dispersal of life insurance proceeds?

My husband recently passed away. He was very ill mentally and physically for the last few years. The dispersal of his life insurance was unfavorable to me.

Asked on February 18, 2013 under Insurance Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  It really depends on the specific facts of the situation.  If you believe that your husband in some way changed the beneficiary on his policy prior to his death and that he was not competent to do so or that some one unduly influenced him, then you can indeed tell the life insurance company - in writing of course - that you are contesting the designation of beneficiary and that you wish them to Interplead the funds in to court for a determination. Otherwise one can designate whom ever they wish on a life insurance policy.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.