How do I transfer ownership of my house to a trust?

I have completed a living trust and want to title my house to the trust. The house is completely paid for. What type of deed do I need to complete for the transfer. Do I also need to do a “Preliminary Change of Ownership” report? I assume I also have to advise the county tax assessory’s office.

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The best way to "fund" an established trust is for you to hire an attorney to draft a deed of your home into the name of the trust just created. You then sign the deed before a notary public and record the deed with the county recorder's office.

You will need to prepare a preliminary change of ownership report for the deed transfer into the trust. Make sure you bring to the attorney a copy of the property's existing deed. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.