I live in California. I went to Reno NV and married someone to later find out he was still married to his first wife. How do I proceed with this since I know this marriage is not binding? I am looking to marry again, will this stop me?

Can I remarry or do I have to file for
an annulment?

Asked on March 21, 2016 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

 As you are aware, there is no binding union since no valid marriage took place. However, for legal and other reasons you should go forward with an annullment. Here is a link to a site that will explain what to do:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.