Can law enforcement lie to you so that they can establish ground to have a warrant issued?

I was pulled over by sheriffs at gunpoint and they told me that they had a search warrant for my parents house, so make it easy on them. They asked where the guns and ammo were and where the the drugs and scales were. Scared half to death, I told them that I have no guns or scales at the house but just a little bit of meth in a draw in a desk. I think somebody had misinformed them. Well, come to find out, they didn’t have a warrent when they pulled me over. However, my telling them that I did had meth gave them grounds to then obtain a warrant from the judge. Is that legal for them to do? They just found a little bag of meth. They were out of the county sheriffs as well. Should I speak to a criminal law attorney? I’m in Westminster, CA.

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would strongly suggest that you seek the advice of a very good criminal attorney in your area on this matter.  If the events as they transpired are correctly written here a red flag should go up for your attorney. If they lied about the warrant to have you grant them access to the house then I would think that what they found are illegal fruits of the search. But ask the attorney in your area.  he or she will know the constitutional issues involved here and how they apply to the facts and circumstances of your case.  Your parents need to go and see an attorney too.  Maybe you did not have the right to give access to their home.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.