What to do about an impounded car?

I am the registered owner of a car driven by my son who was involved with a crime and the police are holding the vehicle and have stored it. Now they refuse to let me retreive it because they say that they are using it for further evidence. The storage company asks me to pay towing and storage fees but as my vehicle can not be released, what are my rights in order not to pay the additional storage fee for each day they hold it as evidence? Do I have to pay for each day they hold it?

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So long as your vehicle is being held as "evidence" with respect to a criminal matter and investigation there essentially is nothing you can do to retrieve the item until it is released by law enforcement under the laws of all states in this country.

You may want to advise your auto insurance carrier with respect to the situation as to your car where any bills for storage could be paid by it. From what you have written, you very well could be on the hook for paying the daily storage fees for the car while in impound.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.