What can I do if my hours at work have been cut due to a medical condition?

I have worked for a company for 5 years. A couple years ago I began to have medical issues and was diagnosed with CVS. This condition causes me to miss work as much as 2-3 days every couple months. At first my employer was OK with it but then she decided to reduce my hours. I agreed to go from 5 days to 4 days per week. But now, without my agreement, she has decided to allow me to only work for 2 days a week. I cannot live on such a low income and my condition is such that I do not qualify for permanent disability.

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are being discriminated against. Missed work 2 to 3 days every couple of months is not unreasonable.  You need to go and talk with the Department of Labor, the Equal Credit Opportunity Commission and possibly a private attorney.  You may also try legal aid but start with the labor agencies who see this kind of stuff all the time.  She cannot punish you for this, especially if you do not qualify for disability.  If your employer is qualified under FMLA and you are, then she absolutely has no right.  You are allowed up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave every year.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.