What to do if I just found out that I have a warrant out for my arrest in another state?

I have pending an assault with deadly weapon and a breaking and entering. I had visited the state in question 2 years ago and do not know what to do. I have never been contacted. I found this out from a background check. I am in desperate need of legal help.

Asked on October 6, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You might be able to avoid this for some time if you never return to that state, never get pulled over by police and never apply for a job that involves a criminal background check.  However, it probably will catch up with you eventually.  For this reason, you should retain a criminal defense attorney who is admitted in that state and make arrangements to surrender yourself and deal with the charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.