What happens to a tenant if a guest of theirs won’t leave the rental premises?

I was renting a house from the owner. My mother is mentally ill and I took her in because she was living on the streets. After a couple months my landlord served a 30 day notice. I complied and started to move. My mother refused to leave. I called the police and had 2 social workers come out and try to remove her. I was told that they could not do anything. I have completely moved, cleaned and discontinued the utilities. When the day came to do the walk-through and return the keys, my LL refused to take them and the rent for the final month I was there. He started to laugh and told me that I will pay for this. What kind of legal action can he take? What should I do to be prepared for this?

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In order to get your mother out of the unit you are renting post service of the thirty (30) day notice by the landlord where she refuses to vacate, the landlord is now faced to file an eviction lawsuit in the court system to get a court order mandating that your mother leave the unit she is occupying.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.