If my neighbor has built a hog pen 100 ft from my back deck and swimming pool and the noise and smellare awful, what can l do?

There are no zoning laws out in the country.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If there are no zoning laws prohibiting the hog pen on your neighbor's property or in such a close proximity to yours, the first thing to do to resolve the problem is to inquire if the neighbor would be willing to move the hog pen away from your property so as to minimize the smell and noise that you are suffering.

If not, your recourse is to either live with it or consult with a real estate attorney to see if you have a claim for a nuisance to have the pen removed from its location so near your property.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.