If I live in an apartment complex and my car keeps getting damaged, do I have anything to protect myself and my car?

I have the nicest car in my apartment complex. Someone on 4 seperate occasions has hit my car and left damage to my vehicle. I notified my landlord who told me to park farther away from my building and I’m currently 7 months pregnant. I started parking away from the building only to still have damage done to my vehicle. I don’t know what more I can do to prevent this. My nice car is being damaged and not by me which is only decreasing the value of my vehicle I’m out of options.

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you need to ascertain who the person or persons who is damaging your car and then confront them as to it seeking costs of repair. The apartment complex does not have an obligation to you to pay for repairs to your vehicle for damages caused by a third party. The third party is responsible for the damages.

You might consider placing a cover on the car and making a written notation of the cars and license plate numbers that park alongside your vehicle or simply keep a watchful eye out as to who may be damaging your vehicle.

Your last option is to make a claim with your auto insurer for repairs of your vehicle's damage caused by third parties.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord is not responsible for the negligent or criminal actions of third parties, including other tenants. If you are aware of who is doing this, you could, of course, sue that person or persons for the cost to repair your car; however, the landlord him- or herself is not required to do anything in this circumstance. You may need to consider selling/trading in your car for a less valuable one. That's what I did--my legal practice involves going to some areas where it would be unwise to park a nice car, so I bought the cheapest but still acceptable for a client to see me in vehicle I could find.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.