How can I drain surface water off my property?

Right now the water floods my property and one neighbor below me. I believe it’s a problem with another drain above me getting blocked, not sure though. There isn’t a city drain near the road around my house but there’s a drop inlet for storm water in the middle of the road farther down. However, I don’t know exactly how much will be running down the middle of the road to get there. There are houses on either side as well. the other option is pushing all that I take directly on the neighbor below who is already getting flooded as well.

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I think that you will need to hire an engineer to find a good way to drain the property.  You obviously realize that your "solution" can not do harm to any of the neighbors property.  And perhaps this is really a neighborhood issue that needs to be solved as a community.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.