If I live in a mobile home park and fell and broke my leg, can I file a lawsuit against the own of the mobile home park?

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Personal Injury, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Prior to filing a lawsuit, it may be possible to settle the case with the mobile home park's insurance carrier.  When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor, obtain your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of any wage loss.  Your personal injury claim filed with the mobile home park's insurance carrier should include those items.  Compensation for your medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  If the case is settled with the mobile home park's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the mobile home park's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file your lawsuit.  Your lawsuit would be based on either negligence or premises liability depending on the facts that caused you to fall.  If the case is NOT settled with the mobile home park's insurance carrier, you will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.