If I live in a house that my mother owns and has a mortgage on but she is ill, how I can get on the title or have the house gifted to me?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Title to the house is different from the mortgage.  Title depends on the deed.  A mortgage is a separate document.  It is possible for your mother to transfer the house to you by deed (either Quit Claim Deed or Warranty Deed).  Your mother could also transfer title to the house from her name alone to her name and your name as joint tenants with a right of survivorship.  That way, you would inherit the house if your mother passed away.

Changing title to the house, or changing the deed, may have consequences with the mortgage company.  Some mortgages say that the company has the right to demand the entire balance if the mortgage-holder transfers title.  Whether the company will do this, or whether they will even notice that title has been transferred, is uncertain.  If you or your mother keep paying the mortgage, they may do nothing.

Remember that a mortgage is secured by the property.  If no one pays the mortgage, the company can take the property in foreclosure, no matter who holds title on the deed.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.