What to do if I am on family leave and my employer has offered to pay rent with a charitable fund but my landlord refuses payment from them?

I live in az and I am on family leave to a injury. I have been off work for one month and have no income. My employer has a charitable fund for employees and has offered to pay 2 months rent, all they ask for is my landlord to fill out a W9 form. He has refused to do thisand I have no money to pay rent on first.

Asked on July 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written your landlord is not declaring the rent that you have been paying as income since he/she has refused to complete a W-9 as requested by your employer.

The way to get the matter resolved is to have your employer write the landlord a letter with a check for two months rent for you enclosing a W-9 to be dated, signed and returned with a warning that if any eviction proceeding is brought agaainst you during this time period that the employer will retain a lawyer to vigorously defend you in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.