I liive in Houston, TX and have legal home ownership with a man I have been with 14 years. He has cheated on me and I’ve asked him to leave. Options?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think this is mostly about who gets how much of the money when the house is sold.  How that should work out in your case will depend on the detailed facts.  Please, talk to an attorney in your area, before agreeing to anything.

You weren't married, so it's unlikely that you will have any claim on the man's other property or income.  If there are circumstances you haven't mentioned, which you think might give you some rights in this aspect of the case, you need to talk to your lawyer about that as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.