I let my mom put a car in my name which had no insurance on it. She let her boyfriend drive it and they got into a car accident. The other person that was hit her insurance company is coming after me instead. Am i held responsible for the car?

The car is in my name. Although i
wasn’t the driver. It was
temporarily in my name until my
mom could get it in hers. But they
got into a accident before we
could get things transferred over.

Asked on March 27, 2017 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you are liable for the accident because you were the registered owner of the vehicle when the accident occurred.  Your liability would include the property damage (cost of repairs to the other vehicle) and the personal injury claims of the occupants of that vehicle.  The personal injury claims will include compensation for the medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills) and compensation for wage loss.
In the event of a court judgment (monetary judgment) against you, you can sue your mother's boyfriend for negligence to recover the amount of any judgment against you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.