I let a person use my car and now I can’t get it back

This person has threatened me to scrap
the car if I call the police just the
other day he dropped it off at a
bowling alley parking lot for me to
pick it up we called the bowling alley
the guy who works there went out to
check it out and it was there, I called
this guy again to make sure it’s still
there and now it’s not. I called the
Police and they still won’t do anything
I am hearing they are doing all kinds
of things to my car and it isn’t good

Asked on March 30, 2017 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to contact the district attorney's office and file criminal charges for auto theft.
You can also sue the person who took your car and won't return it for conversion.  Conversion is theft in a civil case.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) for conversion would be the value of your car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.