If I lent a friend a $25,000 business loan and he promised in writing to pay me back.but didn’t, can I sue him?

If yes, how would I go about doing that? He promised in an email to repay me.

Asked on January 31, 2013 under Business Law, Florida


James Jones Jr / The Jones Firm, PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to sue under a breach of contract theory (you had a valid contract and the contract was breached, resulting in damages), depending on the terms of the loan you made with your friend.  Were the terms of the loan reduced to writing or was it an oral agreement?  Also, when did you loan your friend the money and when did you enter into the agreement? These questions need to be answered in order to determine whether you can bring suit.  

How do you go about suing your friend depends on a number of factors.  You must consider Florida's statute of limitations, which governs the time in which you can bring a lawsuit against your friend. You must also consider the statute of frauds, which requires certain contracts to be in writing.

You also must consider the terms of the agreement to determine how you can go about collecting the $25,000 that you say your friend agreed to repay.  For example, the agreement may contain an arbitration clause requiring you to arbitrate your claim, rather than filing a complaint in court and "litigating" the claim.

I suggest you speak with an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.