What to do if I lent $3000 to a man that I was dating?

This was about 14 months ago. At the time, we agreed that he would repay me the money once he received a settlement from a court case that was pending. We had a major fallout, due to unrelated issue, and I went back and forth with him about whether he had to repay. One minute I didn’t want repayment because I didn’t want to see him again and the next I changed my mind. In our latest correspondence, which I have in email form, I told him that I am interested in receiving repayment for the loan. I think he has a job as of now but no savings, so I wanted to know: does he owe me and do I have a case for small claims court?

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can file a lawsuit in Small Claims Court for breach of contract / account stated.  Your damages (the amount of monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount you are owed plus interest plus court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.