What to do if I left the scene of an incident that did not include damage or harm to other drivers, however I did damage traffic sign?

Can I be jailed for this offense? I do have a dwi from two years ago and misdemeanor theft that I’ve appeared in court for but paid minor fine.

Asked on March 17, 2015 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime pretty much everywhere.  Even though the accident is a "one car accident" you have an obligation to report it, especially where there is damage to public property.  Please go to the police station nearest the damaged sign an report it. Generally speaking you should not be receiving jail time but I would seek legal counsel.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.