When I left my apartment at the end of my lease, if we signed off that everything was maintained on a move-out checklist can I later be sued for damages, etc?

Now they are charging me for damage and lease breaking. They inspected the apartment every 3 months and I never got any complaints from them. Now they are asking for lease breaking charges. However, I gave written notice 3 months ago that I was not renewing the lease. I got just got a call from some collection agency. What to do?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you have a written check list from your former landlord at move out that all was fine with the former rental and now there are claims that there was some missed damage that your former landlord wants you to pay for, I would do the following:

1. write the former landlord a letter stating that he or she signed a check list at move out that all was fine. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference if need be.

2. advise the landlord that the third party debt collection agency that is bothering you about the unliquidated claim could be in violation of federal and state unfair debt collection practices and that attempts to contact you must stop.

3. if your are still being pestered by the landlord and/or the third party debt collection agency, you should consult an attorney who practices landlord tenant law.

The good part about what you have written is that you have a move out check list showing that things seemingly were fine with the rental's condition when you moved out. Make copies of that document for safe keeping.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.