What to do if I left my wife of 24 years but did not proceed with the divorce because she was “not ready” to pursue divorce or mediation?

It’s been 5 months and I am prepared to move out ot state and need to know what ramifications that might have if the divorce has not yet started or been finalized. I am pushing now for action to be taken but don’t want to move if that’s going to cause unnecessary legal issues.

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you move, the main issue is going to be where to file for divorce.  If she does not live in your new state and won't consent to a divorce in your new state, you may have some interstate legal issues and be forced to refile your divorce in the state where she resides.  This doesn't mean your divorce won't through, but it just makes it harder to manage long-distance.  While you are still in state, file for divorce and getting it moving.  Once it's filed, get most of the ground work finished to minimize the inconvenience of having to travel back and forth after you do move.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.