if I left my husband yesterday after a violent outburst and months of physical and verbal abuse, how can I get back into my home to get things for my children and I?

I took nothing because I was in fear for my life. Today, He messaged me saying he would leave so I could bring our kids home. After several hours I messaged him back asking if he was gone so I could go pick up clothes and personal items, as I have no intention of returning. He informed me that I took what I wanted when I left and was not entitled to anything else. How can I safely get my stuff back? I contacted the police and was told they don’t handle this type of situation.

Asked on July 12, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I think that you should seek help from an attorney as to your rights at this stage.  Do you wish to get back in the home and get him out?  You sound as if you need an order of protection for you and your children. And support.  And exclusive occupancy of the home.  Only a Judge can give you that.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.