If I left my husband over 2 years ago and he now wants to file for divorce, am I required to provide him with my home address?

He has my parent’s address and my email but is insisting he needs my home address to send my belongings and to file divorce. I plan on filing but haven’t yet. We have no kids and no property of any value. I am very uncomfortable with him knowing where I live.

Asked on January 16, 2013 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can tell him that your permanent address is your parent's address.  Any correspondence or property that he has can be mailed there.  The court, as some point, may want your address... but if they push, you can raise safety concerns for using your "temporary address" and insist on using your parent's as your "permanent address."  It's not unusual for adult children to use their parents as a permanent address.  If you are not comfortable giving him your current location, you probably have a good reason-- stick with your gut and to your guns and tell him "no."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.