If I kicked a dent in my ex-girlfriend’s car door while it was on my property, will my homeowners insurance or car insurance cover that?

Asked on June 25, 2014 under Insurance Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is unlikely that your insurance will cover this damage because kicking a dent in a car is an intentional act which is not covered by your insurance.  If any insurance covered this, it would be your homeowner's since the incident occurred on your property.  Your auto insurance would not cover this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.