What to do if I just switch to a new auto insurer and 3 days later my car caught on fire but now the company wants to do an investigation for fraud?

It will not approve me a rental even though my car has been declared total from an electrical fire.

Asked on March 1, 2013 under Accident Law, Missouri


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello.  My professional advice to you is to seek private attorney counsel and assistance immediately.  An investigation for insruance fraud is a very serious matter, involving potential criminal charges of a felony level.  Insurance fraud may be defined as knowingly making a false or misleading claim to one's insurance company for the purpose of obtaining financial benefits.  Based on my experience, I urge you to be represented by a private attorney during this time.  I suggest you telephone several attorneys in choosing, because it is important that you feel a sense of confidence and great trust.  All the best to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.