If Ireceived a court summons and was asked to provide financial information, does this mean that the person who is suing meis planning on taking anything of value?

I was in a car accident and found to be at fault and I didn’t have auto insurance at the time. I received a court summons this evening and they are asking for a lot of financial information, a listing of possessions and clothing in my household. Will all of our possessions be taken to satisfy the judgment? My mom has added me to her checking accounts, will her money be taken as well? We are having a very difficult time financially, are there attorneys that work in this type of law pro bono or at low cost with payments?

Asked on August 1, 2010 under Accident Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes there should be places you can go for legal help and advice.  Legal Aid or try your local Bar Association for pro bono or volunteer lawyer programs.   You are correct that what you have been served with is to find out financial information on you to collect on a judgement.  Was there a trial and a judgement?  Can I ask: did your Mother have a car and insurance coverage? If the answer is yes and you live with her in her household go and seek legal help and ask if "stacking" would apply here.  That would open up her policy to your judgement and have a well for them to drink from.  Also seek advice on your Mother's accounts and what to do there.  Finally, ask about filing for bankruptcy to get rid of the judgement.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.