If I just picked up my van from the mechanic 2 hours ago and paid $265 but they did not fix it because the same issue is happening, how do I get my money back?

Asked on October 26, 2015 under Business Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the mechanic negligently (or carelessly; unprofessionally) failed to make the repair--or even deliberately did not (while pocketing your money)--and won't voluntarily refund your money (or fix the van again for free), your recourse would be to sue the mechanic for your money back. For the amount of money in question, you'd be best off suing in small claims court, acting as your own attorney ("pro se") to save on legal fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.