If I just left my abusive boyfriend with our 5 week old baby to stay with my mother in another state, what is my next step?

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You two remedies you should immediately consider. The first and most important is a motion for custody and child support. The longer the child remains there, the more difficult it will be for you to obtain custody.

Secondly, you should consider obtaining a temporary restraining order.  You're posting indicated that he was abusive.  Again, the longer you wait to seek this remedy, the more difficult it will be to obtain it.

Brad Micklin, Esq.
The Micklin Law Group


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.