What can I do if I just learned recently someone online wrongfully stated that I have been arrested for distribution of child pornography?

Not only is it incorrect but it is absolutely disgusting. I do have proof that someone I do not know and have never communicated with told him that this is a true statement. If it was something small, I would let it go, although due to the disgusting nature of it, is there anything I can do?

Asked on August 1, 2014 under Personal Injury, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may be able bring a legal action against any and every person who has made defamatory statements about you online. A defamatory statement is an untrue factual assertion (such as that you distributed child pornography) which tends to damage your reputation (which this assertion would). In a legal action, you can seek both a court order ("injunction") requiring them to remove such statements and not make them again, and also monetary compensation ("damages") for the harm to your reputation. From what you write, it would be worthwhile for you to consult with a personal injury attorney about your situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.