What to do if I got a letter from my insurer stating that its attempts to prevent the adverse party from collecting monies aganinst my policy for an accident haven’t been successful?

The arbitration panel reviewed the evidence provided by both companies and determined that i was 100% responsible for damages for unsafe backing. How can they change their decision from 50/50 % to 100 % my fault. The accident was in the parking area too. it was 50% my fault at first so i fixed my car by my self, not through insurence company and now, after about 5 months later, they are saying it is 100% my fault and they are issuing payment. Is there and way I can change their decision? I really don’t think it is 100% my fault.

Asked on March 9, 2015 under Accident Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, Arbitrations between insurers are binding decisions, meaning you are stuck with them.  You would have to review the rules agreed to by the insurance companies and the arbirtation association.  What happened is that your insurer agreed to the 50/50 split but the other insurer did not so they went to an independent party and agreed to them then decide.  Both parties submitted evidence and they decided the final outcome. I doubt that there is anything that you can do but luckily you were insured.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.