What to do if I just found out that my fiancee knew she had herpes and concealed that information from me?

ven when i had a cold sore she did not tell me about it. I found out by accident and confronted her about it and she said that she had it and just did not want to tell me by fear of rejection. I broke off the engagement because I also found out she was talking to another ex of hers. I would like to know if I can take her to court for negligence and knowingly giving me herpes.

Asked on March 4, 2015 under Personal Injury, Nebraska


Billie Ruth Edwards / Edwards & Johnson, Attorneys, LLC

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can take her to court, but it is likely you will lose, and in the process suffer some public embarrassment and find yourself considerably lighter in the wallet. The Jury or Judge will certainly look at her negligence in not telling you, but they will also look at your negligence in not protecting yourself. If they find your negligence equals or exceeds hers, you will get nothing. If this has been recent, it is likely you have little in the way of monetary damages, so seeking recovery of the cost of any medical treatment you have incurred is best done in small claims court, where you don't need an attorney. If you wish to recover more than your medical costs, make an appointment with an attorney and discuss it more thoroughly with them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.