What to do if I just found out my ex stopped paying on that home we lived in and my attorney has passed away?

I moved out 3 years ago; we are divorced but are still fighting over this asset. I have had a lawyer since day one (I am paid in full and up to date). However, I called him this morning to tell him about the house payment only to hear that he had a heart attack the other day and has died. This attorney had no partners to pass his case load on to. What are my next steps? I am out of money and time.

Asked on September 25, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since you need an attorney with respect to the matter that you have written about concerning the home, an asset concerning your dissolution which has yet to be concluded, you need a new attorney to assist you. Assuming you can afford one, call the deceased attorney's office and ask for a referral.

If one cannot be given, contact the county bar association where the dissolution matter is venued for referrals. If you cannot afford an attorney contact your local legal aid clinic for assistance about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.