What to do if I joined the military with orders to basic training and notified my apartment complex but the manager refused to remove my name from the lease?

Now I have a collection on my credit.

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act your former landlord was to release you from the balance of your lease within thirty (30) days of you giving him or her notice of your new deployment. I would contact a consumer law attorney to assist you in getting the collection claim and possible judgment against you resolved.

Bad landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.