If I joined a gym 5 months ago and committed to a 1 year contract but the gym moved locations and is no longer convenient, am I entitled to a refund?

I tried opting out of the contract but the owner is not willing to give me a refund. Do I have grounds to sue? It is now 4.5 miles further away.

Asked on September 5, 2013 under General Practice, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You may have grounds to terminate the contract and receive back your money for the period following the move. You would sue for breach of contract, on the grounds that the contract was for gym membership at a given location--which the gym can no longer provide you. However, before suing, review the gym contract to see if it addressed specifically the issue of the gym moving/relocating; if it did, you are bound to whatever the contract says on the topic.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.