What legal avenue do I have to explore for having sunken my money into a company that was not what it was presented as?

I invested in a partnership company that misrepresented their “numbers” and valuations. What type of lawyer do I seek?

Asked on February 5, 2015 under Business Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file a lawsuit for fraud against the company.  Fraud is the intentional misrepresentation of a material fact made with knowledge of its falsity and with the intent to induce your reliance upon which you justifiably relied to your detriment.

In other words, you would not have invested in the company had you known the true financial information.

It would be advisable to speak with a business law attorney who handles civil litigation. 

Your County Bar Association may have an attorney referral service which can refer you to a business law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.