I inherited my parents home with siblings. I live in it. I am the only one paying taxes and maintenance. Can they get away without paying for anything?

I would like them to sign over their
share so I can sell it.

Asked on September 5, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can get away with paying nothing if they are willing to free load. What you can do is force a sale of the home--if they won't voluntarily agree, you can bring an action in court "for partition," which is a lawsuit seeking a court order requiring the sale of the property because the owners cannot agree as to what to do with it. The court can order the sale and that the proceeds of the sale (less taxes, costs of sale, mortgage) be distributed among the owners. In that distribution, if you have been paying the taxes and maintenance, you may be able to get a credit for those payments and therefore a larger share of the proceeds. If you wish to explore this option, consult with a real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.