If I inherited a large sum of money and bought a house in which I put my husband’s name on the deed, if I divorce him is he entitled to half of the house?

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It could be argued that there was an intention for the property to be marital property - even though it was purchased with inheritance which is separate property - because you put his name on the deed.  So yes, he would be entiteld to his share under your divorce/asset distribution laws. Please speak with ana ttornmey in your area as to your rights now. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.