What are my rights if I informed my manager that another employee was sexually and physically harassing me to which he responded that I should just handle it?

Seeing how I wasn’t going to get the support or protection I needed, and was afraid that this employee was going to hurt me as he claimed he would, I decided to put in my 2 weeks notice unless they fired that person or made sure that our shifts were different. Well, he adjusted the shifts, which only gave me 3 shifts per week. When I went back to my manager to try to explain that I could not live off of only 3 shifts a week, he basically said that was my problem, not his. He texted me later that night that I did not need to come back to work at all. Now what do I do?

Asked on November 9, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Employers must take reports of sexual harassment seriously, and may also not, under the law, retaliate against employees for reporting harassment. You may therefore have a viable claim for illegal retaliation and/or sexual harassment (a failure to respond to a sexual harassment complaint can make the employer liable for the harassment). You should contact either the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency to file a compliant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.