What can I do if I was a victim of malicious wounding and subpoenaed to court but I don’t want to testify?

My girlfriend cut me and I called the police and was hospitalized.

Asked on June 8, 2017 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

As you may already know at this point, whether or not to drop charges in a criminal case is up to the prosecutor, not the victim. If there is enough other evidence to support a conviction, then the case can still go forward even without the victim's cooperation. Further, since you haave been subpeonaed to testify, if you do not appear in court this will become a criminal matter and you could have a bench warrant issued for contempt and face fines and/or jail time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.