What to do if I hurt my back on a job that I was working at for a year but have since left?

They sent me to a doctor and I ended up leaving that job for another job. I continue to see a doctor because my back is still in pain. Is my first employer still responsible for the medical bills and is there any compensation that I can get from them?

Asked on November 8, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You will need to work with an attorney about that because if you had a workers' compensation claim and that claim disallowed you from continued employment, it may be an issue. If you left that job without a claim, you may have extinguished any rights to a claim as the perfect defense for that company is any possible damage caused by work in your new job.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.