If a chemical applicator damaged a property substantially and had no applicator’s license so was working under my license without my knowledge, how can I hold my employer liable?

I hold a chemical applicator’s license and work for a landscape company as an account manager in the maintenance department. The owner of the company hired a chemical applicator who had no applicator’s license and was working under my license without my consent. The damages caused the state Dept. of Agriculture to audit me, though I had no knowledge of his not having his own license. During the audit, the new applicator had several violations which will result in fines up to $25,000 per violation. I also received permenant marks against me with the Dept. of Agriculture that are permenant. How can I make my employer responsible for these large fines that I had nothing to do with?

Asked on August 4, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can hold your employer and the unlicensed applicator himself liable by suing them if others cause you a loss or economic or reputational injury either negligently i.e. carelessly or intentionally, they can be responsible for paying for your loss. You could bring a lawsuit based on various grounds, including potentially negligence, conversion or theft, identify theft, etc. d on the amount you describe as being at stake, you should speak with an attorney a litigator somone who specializes in lawsuits about bringing a legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.