What can I do if I hit a deer on the highway but my insurer refused to help because I was not covered for comprehensive damages?

I was unaware this was a necessary coverage for financed vehicles. I was told by many insurance agents since that my insurance agent neglected to make sure I was properly insured. I was told for a financed vehicle this coverage should have been required by the insurance agency and the finance company. Neither did, or want to help. Now I’m stuck with no car, and still paying for the insurance and car payments. Is this worth taking to court, and should my insurance pay?

Asked on June 26, 2014 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your contract with your insurance company controls what is and what is not coverd.  if ou do not have comprehensive insurance, it is not covered.  You should read and be aware of your policy contract and its coverage.  There is no court action that is viable if you were presented with a copy of the poicy and faiiled to read it or change it. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.