What to do if I hired a debt collection agency to collect on a contractor that was dodging payment and it collected but now refuses to give me the money?

I have all the emails supporting this, as well as my contract with this company. Even better, I have a copy of the check that they were paid with. I have attempted to contact this company by email and all of the company phone numbers for 3 months. However, they would not contact me back at all. I left voice mails after voice mail and was very polite each time. I finally got a hold of the owner through another source (disgruntled employee). He emailed me and said that he can’t pay due to an audit. I told him that he was paid months ago, so where’s mine? He says let me see what my cash flow is.

Asked on July 20, 2014 under Business Law, Texas


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may fie a lawsuit tourself. If the matter s is $10000 or less, you may be able to file in small claims court. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.