If I hired a contractor to remodel the bathroom in my out-of-state rental but the work was done poorly so I had to hire another company to redo the work, in what state must I bring suit?

The house is in another state we rent it out.

Asked on September 27, 2015 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the house and, presumably, the contractor, were both in the same, other state, then you would need to sue in that state it is where the defendant the contractor is and is also the site or location of the conduct which gives rise to the lawsuit. That state therefore is the one that would have jurisdication, or power/authority, over the defendant as well as a connection to and interest in the outcome.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.