If Ihired a 19 year old co-worker to house sit while our family vacationed, am I liable for the under age drinking that ocurred in our home?

She had a party or several parties and our home was damaged including irreplaceable photos on our walls. Is there a law in CO that would somehow make me liable for the underage drinking in my home, even if we were in another state? They brought in their own alcohol. There was no alcohol in our home when we left. The party or parties resulted in a significant amount of personal property damage. What are my rights? What should I do?

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Personal Injury, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The only way that I can see that you could be liable is if she were considered your "agent" under the law.  Then you would be responsible for her wrong doing.  But I would really seek legal help in your area on this matter.  This was a business relationship and she is liable for damages incurred while under her watch. You could sue her directly but I might consider reporting the damage to your insurance company and see if you are covered for this somehow.  Speak with your insurance agent.  Then if your company will pay I would see if they can "subrogate" your claim, meaning that they will pay you then sue her to get the money back.  She may have nothing and a judgement against her may not be worth anything.  And if she files bankruptcy she could possibly discharge the debt.  Check out your options.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.