I have worked at a local hospital 30 years as a medical secretary. I transfered to a job that didn’t work out. I felt their expectations were too

high for one person. and never got appropriate training. The manager and the nurse made me feel as though I wasn’t competent for the job. They were encouraging me to look for another job else where in the hospital. I have until July 1 to find employement at this hospital. I’m afraid I wont in this time frame/ Any action I can take?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in Hartford, CT. The question I have is whether you believe that you are being discriminated against.  Generally, at will employees can be transferred anywhere and can be fired for good bad or no reason at all.  Thus, the employer pretty much holds all the chips and can assign you to any job they want.  Are you in a Union?  If so, have you spoken to your rep?  If you do believe that you are being discriminated against (i.e. age), you may have a cause of action against the hospital.  I would need to know more facts.  However, if you do not believe you are a target here, then there is not a whole lot you can do.  If you want to discuss this further via phone call please direct a question to my attention and I will provide you with my firm's contact info.  JMA and i will respond.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.